Driving in Italy

Driving in Italy

Driving in Europe is very different from driving in the United States. While most laws are similar, roads are typically smaller, traffic patterns differ and there are far more motorcycles, bicycles and pedestrians. Road speeds are also faster on the Autostrada, the Italian equivalent of the interstate, than most places in the U.S. Read below to learn about the steps necessary to get a license if you or your sponsor are assigned to Vicenza.

If you are not assigned to Caserma Ederle or a post in Europe, you will want to have an international license to drive in Italy. Be aware also that the SETAF license is valid ONLY in NATO countries (this does not include Switzerland or Austria). Also, the rules can vary based on official or unofficial travel and whether you are civilian or military. Although some countries will accept your SETAF license or even a U.S. license, you are strongly encouraged to get an international driving permit (IDPs). IDPs are honored in more than 150 countries outside the U.S.


To provide driving instruction, techniques and license control to the US and NATO forces assigned within USAG Italy. Work and partner with USAG Italy Safety Office and IMCOM Europe to boost awareness in the operation of vehicles (POV & NTV) and motorcycles. Maintain administrative and clerical support of all driving records. Test and evaluate all newly arrived, remedial, and re-entry drivers of their knowledge and understanding of area regulations and the Italian Road Code. Provide customer service in relation to license issue, renewal, and replacement IAW applicable regulations and the Italian Law.

Driver’s Licenses

    • All newly-assigned personnel and dependents who wish to drive must complete a mandatory driver’s orientation course. The two-hour course provides an overview of driving laws in Italy, traffic patterns and how they differ from other locations, precautions to take, what to do in case of an accident, DUI laws and more. The Orientation Course is held on the second floor of the Central Processing Facility and is available on a first-come, first-served basis. The course is Tuesdays and Thursdays from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. The course will also be offered on Wednesday to newly arrived Soldiers during their inprocessing.

    • The test is a written exam covering traffic laws and signs. It’s highly recommended that you study for the driving exam. You can download the Drivers Testing Manual to get a head start.

    • Drivers Testing Manual
    • Driving exams are held at the Central Processing Facility, and are first-come, first-served, although first-time testers have priority over those who are retaking the exam after failing. Drivers Testing office will be closed to all others during the testing period on Thursday. The test is offered to:

    • All ID Card holders - Mon-Wed from 9:30-10:30 a.m. (sign-in begins as 8:30)
    • Military only - Thursday from 9-10 a.m. (sign-in begins at 8 a.m.)
    • For a SETAF license, you must:

    • Bring the completed AE Form 190-1T (Received during Orientation)
    • Bring your valid U.S. drivers license (learner’s permits are not valid)
    • Be 18 years of age or older
    • Pass the written exam. This does not apply to those transferring from another European command.

Obtaining a Motorcycle Endorsement

    • 1.  You must first have a valid stateside motorcycle endorsement on your license.  You will need to present this endorsement to DTS personnel.  Learner’s permits are not valid.
    • 2. You must adhere to the following age requirements:
    • a. A1  Up to 50 cc, 18 years or older
    • b. A2  Up to 250 cc, 18 years or older
    • c. A3  350 cc and above, 21 years or older
    • To obtain a motorcycle endorsement to a U.S. Armed Forces in Italy certificate of license or be issued a motorcycle certificate of license, all servicemembers must have a motorcycle license or endorsement issued by a U.S. State or territory of the United States and a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider Course (BRC) training card. The MSF BRC card does not expire. Additionally, Service Members must have either an Experienced Rider Course (ERC), a MSF BRC-II, Military Sport Bike Riders Course (MSRC) or a MSF Advanced Rider Course (ARC) card in order to receive their license. These advanced requirements for Service Members are valid for 5-years and the location of the training is immaterial to the issuance. All training cards presented to meet these requirements must be legible, unaltered in appearance, and its validity is subject to verification. Speak with the Driver's Testing center or the Garrison Safety Office for more details on the various courses and their offered locations.

    • To obtain a motorcycle endorsement to a U.S. Armed Forces in Italy certificate of license or be issued a motorcycle certificate of license, all Civilian personnel and Family members must have a motorcycle license or endorsement issued by a U.S. State or territory of the United States.

Other License Information

    • This is not for tactical vehicles, only for government-owned cars and vans. Soldiers must have a valid SETAF Driver’s License, Accident Avoidance Certificate and Winter Safety Training Certificate (Only from 15 Nov thru 15 April). Civilians must have the same, plus a Memorandum from their Director/Supervisor granting them authorization.

      The course is located at the Army Learning Management System. To access it:

    • 1. Log on with your AKO credentials.
    • 2. Type “traffic” in the Catalog Search space and click “Go”.
    • 3. Click “Register” for the course and the system requirements sections and follow the procedures to begin your training.
    • 4. Click “Launch Content”.
    • 5. Click “Army POV 1-3".
    • Documents needed to obtain a Box Truck/Bus license:

    • You must be 21 years old
    • Commander's interview
    • DA 6125
    • Copy of dispatch from the training with your name on it
    • PMCS checklist
    • DA 348
    • DA 346 (TMP license)
    • Certificate or memo of training
    • Appointment orders of the Master Driver who conducted training
    • A SETAF POV driver’s license or a civilian POV driver’s license is not valid for the operation of a military vehicle, either Tactical or Non-Tactical (NTV). Standard Form 46 (SF 46) or Optional Form 346 (OE 346) is required to operate a military vehicle and must be validated for each type of military vehicle one is authorized to operate. To operate an IFMS vehicle, operators must possess either SETAF POV license or Host Nation driving permit.

      Speed limits for Military vehicles may be different than those for a POV. Speed limits for military sedans on the Autostrada is 74 MPH and in cities 31 MPH. The speed for all vehicles (POV) on the Autostrada is 130 kph and 50 kph in cities and communities.

Other Courses Offered

    • Third Friday of every month, 8:30-9:30 a.m.

      In conjunction with the PMO, the DTS provides a Remedial Drivers Course for those personnel who have accumulate 5 or more points in traffic violations in a 12 month period, have been recommended by their commander/supervisor to attend, or for any other traffic violation as determined by the Military Police or Local authorities. The ID card of personnel who are required to attend Remedial Drivers Training will be flagged in IACS - stating "Contact law enforcement". When arriving at the PMO, the Desk SGT will check the ID card and provide a memorandum that the customer is ordered to attend the next RDT session. Personnel will attend Remedial Drivers Training and retake the written Drivers Test. DTS will record the passing score and sign/stamp the memorandum. Personnel must report back to the PMO to be removed them from the RDT list and date of completion recorded.

      NOTE: Failure to attend the session will result in suspense of the license pending a passing RDT course.

    • 3 Courses every fiscal year - 40 hours)

    • Individual Request

    • Once per fiscal year - 5 hours

This page last updated: April 12, 2018